This easy crunchy cabbage salad has a double dose of folate, firstly from the white cabbage and secondly from the peanuts. Having plenty of folate is known to prevent neural tube defects and is likely to benefit fertility too! The seeds add bonus fibre as well as a range of micronutrients that support healthy cycles (more on this soon!).
If you have to time to let the cabbage sit once dressed it will become slightly tender and allow the flavours really sink in. This crunchy cabbage salad goes especially well as a side salad with grilled chicken or at a BBQ.
Make sure you use a PB that is 100% peanuts/peanut oil, this one is the best ever.
Crunchy Cabbage Salad
- 1 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp Red wine vinegar
- 1 Pinch Salt
- 1/4 head Red cabbage, Shredded
- 1/4 head White or wobok cabbage , Shredded
- 3 tbsp Peanut butter, (made with 100% peanuts/peanut oil)
- 1 tbsp Dark soy sauce, Or 2 of light soy
- 4 tbsp Dried cranberries
- 4 tbsp Seeds (any, I use a seed mix with sesame, pumpkin and sunflower)
- Combine the oil, vinegar and salt and whisk with a fork until combined.
- Dress the cabbage and leave to sit for a few minutes. This will start to soften the cabbage.
- Mix the peanut butter and soy sauce together. Add 3-5 tbsp of water as you go, until the mixture has a sauce like consistency.
- You can serve the cabbage topped with seeds, cranberries and peanut butter sauce or combine them all before serving.
Want more fertility food? Make sure you’re following Foodbaby Fertility on Insta for more recipes and meal ideas.
Amara is an Accredited Practicing Dietitian, Credentialled Diabetes Educator and and Fertility Nutrition Expert. She founded Foodbaby during her own fertility struggles. She lives in sunny Singapore with her husband and rainbow baby, Mali.